Thursday, March 6, 2014

Prince on Arsenio Hall, though...

1. First, giving honor to God and to my line sis Donna Frazier, who hipped me to this fabulous hour of television. Carlos Prudhomme gets a shout as well for the text. 2. If Whoopi is the Queen of No Dambs Left To Give (note her EGOT and her crazy outfit from the Oscars), then Prince is definitely the King. He came out with a frizzy ‘fro, yellow, then white spandex catsuit, furry vest and KILLED IT!! 3. Inspiring quote #1: When talking about putting together his new music, he mentioned that “Since I’m no longer under contract, it just takes a little longer to put out quality music…I’m from the old school… in a singles-driven market, I prefer to make albums.” Takeaways – artists need to start learning how to handle their business in this show business game and own their stuff like Prince does. And stick to what works for you. Don’t chase trends. How many of us will still be talking about Chris Brown or Justin Bieber in 30 years. 4. Which brings me to this: Is “Purple Rain” actually 30 years old this year? DAAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGG! 5. Inspiring quote #2: When asked by Arsenio what he would be doing if he wasn't, well, PRINCE, he responded that when he was 19 years old and really broke that he looked in the phone book to see what kind of work he could get…and found nothing that he wanted to do. This made him determined to push harder and make his music work. That is just, badass. Work your dreams, people. 6. Which brings me to this: Arsenio was as giddy as a schoolgirl. But I can’t hate. I would have been disgusting too. 7. He went back to the old school with playing the B-sides. “She’s Always In My Hair.” If he would have busted out with “Horny Toad” I would have fallen slap out. 8. However, those people with the wack questions needed to have several seats. What is your favorite chore? Man, prince does not have dishpan hands. Ask him about his music, his hopes and dreams, when is he making another movie, when is he going back on tour. Really, does he watch infomercials? You get your chance to bow at the feet of a musical genius and THAT’S all you got? 9. There’s truly no way to top that. Arsenio can retire now. He got Prince for a whole hour. He can drop the mic and exit stage left. 10. There will never ever in a million years be another Prince. This is why I can’t listen to mainstream radio. Nobody can do what he does. He is an ARTIST. Not just an entertainer, not just a singer, not just a musician. This is what I love about music. Prince made me love music, and for that, I will always be a loyal fan. 11. I love how he always gives great new artists a chance. I’m a new Liv Warfield fan. 12. I am sticking to my policy of always BUYING (not downloading from Freegal or dubbing from the library) any Prince album unheard. And that says a lot, because I own “Come.” Yeah. What did you guys see that inspired you last night?

1 comment:

  1. Shan, he was just awesome. Tom Joyner was complaining this morning that he didn't play any hits. WTH? ALL of his songs are HITS!! I also found out for the first time that he wrote all of the Time's stuff, thanks to Sean Ardoin, who got me looking it up. NO WONDER he won't let them use the name. I am just awed and humbled by the whole experience. And THANKFUL that I will see him at EssenceFest!!

    ReplyDelete